Police officer critically injured in Glasgow hotel stabbing attack named


The police officer seriously injured in the Glasgow stabbing attack has been named as Constable David Whyte.

A male suspect was shot dead by police and six others, including 42-year-old constable Whyte, were taken to hospital after being wounded at the Park Inn Hotel in West George Street on Friday afternoon.

He remains in a critical but stable condition following the incident, which police are not treating as terror-related.

The other victims have yet to be named, but police said they are all males aged 17, 18, 20, 38 and 53.

Police Scotland Chief Constable Iain Livingstone has paid tribute to those affected by the knife attack.

In a statement, Mr Livingstone said: ‘Terrible incidents such as we have seen today are, thankfully, very rare in Scotland. This event has understandably shocked the people of Glasgow, and indeed, the whole country.

‘My thoughts and very best wishes are with those who have been injured and their families, including our colleague constable David Whyte who was seriously injured in the course of doing his duty. I offer my personal support to all those affected.

‘Officers have once again run into danger to protect their fellow citizens. Their professionalism as police officers was outstanding. I pay tribute to their bravery, selflessness and commitment to protecting the public.

‘I briefed the First Minister and the Prime Minister earlier today on the circumstances and advised them both that we are not treating the attack as a terrorist incident.

‘It is essential enquiries are now carried out to establish the full circumstances and all speculation must be avoided.’

The incident happened at the Park Inn Hotel in West George Street.

A spokeswoman for campaign group Positive Action In Housing said the 91-room hotel was housing asylum seekers for the Mears Group, which moved them there during the coronavirus lockdown.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: ‘First and foremost, my thoughts are with all those people who have been caught up in this terrible incident, particularly the six injured people taken to hospital for treatment, as well as residents and staff at the hotel.

‘I also want to thank all of those police officers whose quick and decisive actions contained the incident – one of whom was among those taken to hospital – as well as the work of the other emergency services.’

Ms Sturgeon also said the police response ‘undoubtedly ensured that a very, very serious incident didn’t become much worse’.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: ‘Deeply saddened by the terrible incident in Glasgow, my thoughts are with all the victims and their families. Thank you to our brave emergency services who are responding.’

One witness, who gave his name as John, said he saw two people stabbed in the hotel.

He said he came down from the third floor of the hotel to see the reception covered in blood.

‘One receptionist had been stabbed behind the receptionist desk,’ he said.

‘And then when I went down to the entrance I shouted at him and told him to stay calm and I will call for help.

‘When I went to the entrance I saw another receptionist was fighting for his life and had been stabbed.

‘There were two police officers there assisting him.’

A Home Office spokesman said: ‘We are aware of an incident at West George Street in Glasgow, which is currently being investigated by the police.’

Tom Flanagan Karttunen, of the Radisson Hotel Group, said: ‘We are deeply saddened by the tragic event that happened today on West George Street in Glasgow.

‘During the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the hotel has been occupied for temporary housing.’

He added: ‘We are working with the hotel owner and all the relevant local authorities, including Police Scotland, to support the investigation.’